12 Effective Home Remedies for Anemia
Anemia refers to a medical condition when the red blood cells (RBC) count falls below normal or the hemoglobin level drops. When hemoglobin falls below 13.5 grams/100 ml, a male is considered anemic. In females, it is below 12.0 grams/100 ml. Red blood cells produced in bone marrow have a normal life span of about 120 days. Any occurrence that disrupts the normal life span, leads to anemia. The two basic broad factors causing anemia are decrease in red blood cells or hemoglobin production and loss of blood. Vitamin B12 deficiency, certain infections of bone marrow, certain medications, chemotherapy, and antibodies clinging to the red blood cell surfaces, presence of intestinal parasites feeding on vitamins, iron deficiency, dearth of hydrochloric acid needed for digestion, problems of bleeding piles and heavy menstruation may lead to anemia.
Patients with kidney failure, those undergoing chemotherapy or having acquired immunodeficiency syndrome are at the risk of developing anemia. Classification of anemia depends on MCV or volume of individual red blood cells. Anemia, thus, may be classified as follows: microcytic anemia or low cell volume anemia with MCV below 80, normocytic anemia or normal cell volume anemia with MCV ranging 80-100, macrocytic anemia or large cell volume anemia with MCV beyond 100. A person may be anemic through heredity for hereditary disorders often cause red blood cells to live less.
Symptoms of Anemia
1. Getting fatigued easily
2. Looking pale
3. Shortness of breath
5. Hair loss
7. Weakening of heart and worsening of cardiac problems.
Home Remedies for Anemia
1. One may take 2-3 apples a day. This raises the iron content and is a simple solution for anemia.
2. Daily intake of beet juice is a cure for anemia.
3. Two baths with cold water can effectively treat anemia.
4. Four dried figs may be taken daily. It will restore the health of an anemic.
5. Sunlight stimulates and triggers red blood cells. Therefore sunbaths are very good for anemic.
6. A mixture of lemon, honey and apple cider vinegar may be taken every morning in empty stomach. This is an effective home remedy for anemia.
7. Consumption of mashed banana mixed with honey may be taken daily to raise blood level.
8. One may soak 7 almonds overnight, peel off the skin next morning, and make a paste. One spoonful of the paste may be taken daily.
9. A glass of tomato juice may be taken daily. It is an effective home remedy.
10. Protein rich non vegetarian diet is recommended for anemic, for it supplies the body with Vitamin B12.
11. Cooking in iron vessels significantly increases the iron content in food, and is good for anemic.
12. Massaging is a beneficial remedy, for it helps in maintaining high blood content in body.